Problem With Digest Messages
From: Jay Sage (JaySageFamily.org)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 10:52:52 -0800 (PST)

Although we strongly recommended that people choose to receive messages individually and not as a daily digest, many people are still choosing the digest form. That's OK with the obsolete list software at JewishGen, which supports only plain-text messages, but it causes problems with modern list software.

New Problem

A new problem with digest messages has appeared. The list software allows the digest messages to be sent either in plain-text or in MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) format. If the plain-text format is selected, messages like this one, which has HTML (HyperText Markup Language) formatting (such as the headers, the numbered list, and the embedded image below), have the HTML stripped out.

Since the list manager supports the modern HTML message format, I set the default digest format to MIME, which allows HTML messages to be assembled into an HTML digest. That works just fine for my Thunderbird mail reader.

Outlook Defect

Unfortunately, it turns out that there is a defect in the Outlook mail reader that prevents it from properly recognizing the HTML digests. Instead, it displays the HTML codes as text rather than using them to format the message.

What To Do

To solve the problem, you can do either of the following:

  1. Change your setting to the recommended non-digest mode. You will then receive fully formatted messages.
  2. Leave digest mode on but choose "Plain Text" instead of "MIME" as the format. However, HTML messages will not be properly included in the digests.

To edit your subscription settings, use the link at the end of each message. You'll get a menu that includes the items shown here:

You can also write to me, and I can make the changes for you.

-- Jay

  • (no other messages in thread)