Latest on Hotel Situation
From: Jay Sage, Conference Co-Chair (JayIAJGS2019.org)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 14:30:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hilton Full

We first announced the availability of rooms at the special conference rate five months ago, and many people made reservations promptly. As rooms in the conference block at the Hilton filled up, the hotel was kind enough to add more rooms to our block several times. However, the entire hotel is now booked, so it is not possible to add more rooms.

Marriott Full

A similar situation arose at the Marriott, the most convenient overflow hotel, just one block away. They also added to our initial room block. However, the Marriott also is now sold out, so they have no more rooms to add.

Rooms Still Available at the Westin

At last report, there were still rooms in our block at the Westin.

Rooms Likely to Become Available

The above situation notwithstanding, it is almost certain that over time rooms will become available at the Hilton, and probably at the Marriott as well. I have looked at the data from other conferences, and there has always been a significant fall-off in room reservations -- in the range of 45 to 100 -- rooms starting between two and five weeks before the conference. Some rooms start to become free even earlier. If you want a room at the Hilton or Marriott and have not been able to get one, we suggest using the special online reservation portals (see the conference website) from time to time (even every day) to see if a room opens up.

As it says on the web page about hotel reservations at the Hilton, there is a cutoff at 5:00 pm EDT on July 8. Up until then, any rooms that are cancelled go back into our pool. After that, they return to the hotel's general pool and can be sold at whatever price the hotel wishes.

Let Us Know If You Are Cancelling a Room

You can help us by letting us know if you plan to cancel a room reservation. As the July 8 cutoff approaches, we may try to manage a waiting list (but no promises) so that we can transfer rooms that someone wants to release to someone who is looking for a room.

-- Jay

Jay Sage
Co-Chair, IAJGS 2019 Conference, Cleveland, Ohio
Jay [at] iajgs2019.org

  • (no other messages in thread)